Monday, November 8, 2021

East Pond- Dam!!

 A little late in writinmg this entry. I had forgotten to do it when I returned. Only a few folks read this anyway and two of them were on this trip. But I should record this for my own notes and memories. I met Andy at the Park&Ride for an early meet up at the trailhead in Thendara. The drive always seems to go quick with someone else. We were expecting colder weather this weekend but did not expect it to be in the twenties at the trailhead. Andy switched to his long pants and I donned an extra layer. Within a few minutes everyone else arrived... Justin, Bill (&Bella), Kalie and Caitlin. A nice brisk walk to start the day. I expected to drop a layer soon after we started but it took much longer. We were at the junction in no time. The trails here were supposed to have been cleared last summer. Later on we would see newer markers as evidence of the SCA crew being through. 

A few obstacles to deal with on the hike. First would be the alder swamp flooded by beavers. Last time through we just walked across the mucky beaver dam. Next would be a stream with a log bridge that is not my favorite to walk across. The most worrisome would be the outlet of Simon which could potentially be a large cascade to deal with. The beaver dam itself proved to be rather easy, it was the next couple hundred feet of flooded area which required navigating through. It took quite a while for all to pick their way through the mucky area. The entire route to East Pond varies in terrain quite a bit. It is a nice hike; superb if not for the aforementioned obstacles. The log bridge had some forst on it which made it dicey. I made it half way, over the two log wide span. the next part was a single log as the other was broken. I turned back and found an easy rock hop just upstream. I joked with Justin about being cowardly but used a rather inappropriate term not suitable for publication. As we continued through the forest I recalled the location where I saw the fisher chasing the hare a few years back. The area was significantly more grown in since then. As we approached Little Simon Pond, there was some remnant snow in the shadows of the trees. The outlet was low; easy to cross especially with the giant log to hold on to. From  here it was about a mile, first uphill then down. The trail is hard to follow here but the woods are easy to walk through. I filled up my water bottle from a small drainage emptying into Little Simon.




East Pond was just as I remembered. We all set up camp and gathered wood. A few of decided to take a side trip to the old mica mine at Blackfoot Pond. Not mush of a mine per se, just an area dug out of the side of a hill. Mica fragments can be found. Not very large pieces, but neat nonetheless. Before heading back, we stopped a the pond edge to take some photos and soak in the view. A couple beverages didn't hurt either. We headed back to camp. I guess my other exploration in this areas will have to wait again. Good excuse to come back next year.

We gathered around the fire and had a great time. Eventually most of us made dinner. I think I was the first to say goodnight and head to my hammock. I might have fallen asleep in my chair too. Not surprising considering how early I was up this morning. 

I slept well. I think it was warmer when I got up then when I went to bed. Andy and I had coffee in the early hours while waiting for the rest to awaken. Justin was also up early. A slow morning since no one was anxious to leave. I took a short walk around the near side of the pond just to do it. Eventually we were packed up and headed back to the cars. We noted the growth arpund Little Simon where the old campsite was rumored was a little more open now since the 90's when blowdown obstructed it. Another reason to return next year.  Again I avoided the log bridge. We knew the way through the beaver swamp so it went a little quicker. Back to the truck trail and then to the cars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment