Sunday, April 5, 2020

Covid Hike -Cascade Pond

Met up with two friends at Cascade Pond in the Adirondacks. Due to the coronoavirus, we maintained safe distances apart. Justin and I even had our own separate wood piles. We all arrived at the TH at different times, although Kalie was apparently only 15-20 minutes after me. The trail was wet and some remaining snow/ice patches. For the most part was easy going. Some blowdown will need to be cleared as well as side cutting especially on the red trail leading to Cascade. We relaxed a bit, set up camp, gathered wood. Justin and I took the canoe for a spin. Ice still remained on a majority of the pond, but the northern edge was clear. A few times we had to push through the slushy ice to get around a fallen tree or rock. Fun times.

Back at camp we gathered more wood and relaxed. It was a few years ago when Justin, Rob, Dan and I were here for ice-in. We laughed at some of our memories of that trip. As the afternoon progressed, we gathered more wood and hung out. I made a late lunch; sausage of course. Justin and Kalie took the canoe out while I gathered more wood. I kept saying "we are going to run out of wood", knowing full well we would be leaving a decent pile for the next visitors. Eventually it became dinner time. We listened to tunes and had a campfire. Kalie left for her tent and Justin figured it was about time he ate his dinner. I entered my sleeping bag before he was done cooking. I might even have fell asleep before it too.

I slept well. Justin and I were both up around the same time. Got the fire going again and made some coffee. We did not need to rush and Kalie was still in her tent anyway. I made some breakfast and packed up. The pond had a low fog just over the icy portion. Though more open water was present compared to yesterday. Eventually Kalie was up and back at the lean-to. The air was damp, almost as though we were in a cloud as Justin put it. Today was supposed to have rain in the afternoon, we did not expect the precipitation that we had on Saturday though, or overnight. The hike out went quick as it is mostly downhill. At the car I reminded Justin I had put his birthday present in the back of his truck. Hope we get a chance to use it soon. Before we all departed he reminded me to write this entry. So this one is for you bro!

No comments:

Post a Comment