Sunday, August 9, 2026

Quick overnight on the FLT

 With a few days between our mini Adirondack paddling vacations I took off to check off a lean-to along the Finger Lakes Trail.

Thd trail began at a nice parking area just east of route 86. After a short walk through the grass I came to the tunnel which passes underneath route 86. After the tunnel, the trail gained elevation quickly; about 1000' in less than a mile. There are two lean-tos in the area. I passed by the turn-off for the "new" lean-to and continued uphill to the older one right on the trail.

It was hot and humid, and elevation sapped my energy quickly. I brought extra water not knowing availability here. Good thing as the drainage off the hill was silty mud. A couple puddles could be found to dip in my bandana, but not a water source. Clear open oak woods with a grassy understory.

Huge storm came through in the early part of the night. Some boomers in the distance but lit up the woods outside of the lean-to. A lot of rain.

I will need to come back to sleep in the other lean-to. Likely when I hike the section through here.





No comments:

Post a Comment